Cancun is home of many sports and international competitions from around the world. A number of important games and sport events have been developed in the city. Here is a list of the professional sports that are in Cancun, when and where you can watch the various sports, where to get tickets or if you are interested on starting a sport.. where to go:
1. Baseball The court is located at the Beto Avila Stadium in Downtown. Cancun Team is called The Tigres of Quintana Roo. The first game of the season starts in March 26th until July 30th after played 107 games. The games are monday to friday at 8:00 pm and saturday | Sunday at 6:00 pm. You can get your tickets by calling +887 3108, each one will be about 20 to 80 pesos depending on your seat.
If you are looking for baseball training, Academia de Baseball ASTRA in Cancun trains kids and teenagers.
2. Soccer The most important soccer Team in Cancun is Atlante. Atlante were original members of the Mexican professional league when it began in 1943. The games vary in days, depends on the team and schedule already set on calendar. To get the tickets you can buy them at the office of the Stadium. This stadium is located in the downtown of Cancun next to the Baseball stadium.
Another famous soccer team is Pioneros. Their stadium is Cancun 86.
Many soccer players use to train in different courts of Cancun, at gyms, km 0 and the beach. If you want to start training soccer, you can find numbers and email addresses on the internet, so you can get in contact with a representative.
3. Basketball The Poliforum Cancun is the home to the Pioneros de Quintana Roo, Cancun’s local basketball team. More than 4000 people can fit in this huge stadium. It has facilities for all. The Pioneros of Quintana Roo Basketball team began 3 years ago and now are doing well both in the South-East Mexico league and also in the Mexican national league. There are no prompt games at the stadium, last one was at the first months of July.
The Cancun Challenge is a big basketball event in Cancun made each year in the hotel Hard Rock Riviera Maya, very close to Cancun. Teams and fans are treated to a spectacular all-inclusive rock star vacation with games, practices, unlimited dining and drinks, world class entertainment, and fun all in one location. Previous men’s champions include Vanderbilt (2008), Kentucky (2009), Missouri (2010), Illinois (2011), Wichita State (2012), Wisconsin (2013), Northern Iowa (2014) and Maryland (2015). Previous women’s participating teams include Arizona State, Baylor, Duke, Georgia Tech, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas State, Maryland, Oklahoma, Purdue, Seton Hall, among others. This is a unique and incredible event you should assist to at least once in your life! The tickets to Cancun Challenge will be available at September.
There are many basketball clubs where you can train, I recommend “Casa de la Cultura”, this is one of the most important sporting federations in Cancun. You will find basketball classes from 4 pm until 9 pm. Casa de la Cultura is located in the downtown of Cancun at avenida Yaxchilán.
4. Volleyball Volley Ball is a great sport to do in Cancun. It is practiced in many schools, opening the doors to many opportunities for scholarships in universities around the world, just like soccer or american football. Beach Volley Ball in Cancun is also a professional sport, most trainings are at Forum Beach and Tortugas cause it counts with the nets and cool atmosphere.
5. Golf There are many Golf Camps in Cancun and Riviera Maya. Most Tournaments are at Bok Ta Pok Golf Camp, Puerto Cancun Golf Camp, Vidanta and others. Playa del Carmen is another golf destination located 30 minutes from Cancun in a car. You can do a little research on the internet to find a tournament or find a golf course.
The most recommended golf courses are at: Riviera Cancun Golf Club, Iberostar Cancun Golf Club, El Camaleon Mayakoba Golf Club, Puerto Cancun Golf Club & Hard Rock Golf Club Riviera Maya.. all of them count with 18 holes.
6. Artistic Gymnastics Quintana Roo was named as the best state to form a good gymnastics training team throughout Mexico. Cancun is a big part of it.
The Cancun Gymnastics Classic starts in January 5, 2017: College Competition + L3-Open +International Competition.
If you are looking for gymnastics training federations, I personally recommend CAR Gymnastics. CAR is located at Avenue Colosio next to High School ST. John’s. Many gymnasts from around the world choose CAR for its prepared training camps, exchanges and events.
7. Bullfighting Bulls are bred fighting bulls, most of them from the same bloodline not less than 4 years old. Their weight is something between 500 and 800 pounds. Most bullfighters come from Spain and Mexico to present their spectacle. “Corridas” are at weekends, so remember to buy your ticket in advance.
8. Tennis The weather in Cancun allowed to build courts in the outside and play at almost any time of the day even at night when the lights turn on. There is a court in the downtown of Cancun at Casa de la Cultura, you can rent the court for 50 pesos per hour, located at avenue Yaxchilán. The exclusive courts are at the hotels, resorts and residentials: Cancun Clipper Club, Cancun Palace All Inclusive, Carisa y Palma, Fiesta Americana Condesa, Moon Palace, Oasis, etc. Many of these hotels allow you to play and train but just if you are a guest. A recommended choice is Bok Ta Pok, a big residential with 3 tennis courts and a golf camp. You don’t need a special permission to play there and is located at the hotel zone of Cancun.
9. Surfing This is an amazing sport and Cancun offers many surfing events from around the world you can’t miss.
There is a really good surf school in Cancun called “360 Surf School in Cancun”, ranked #1 by the Cancun Surfing Association. Remember that Cancun is one of the best places to surf in the world and if you are a beginner, there are areas where the waves are very gentle and rolling for beginners.
10. Kitesurfing This can be a professional water sport or just an activity you can do while you are at the beach.
There are many kitesurfing classes in Cancun. Isla Blanca is a shorn beach ideal for kitesurfing, located 25 minutes from Cancun. You can do kite surf with not heavy winds, waves and big crowds of people at Isla Blanca because of the location. The best season is from November to April.